Python is a widely-used programming language. It is gaining popularity these days as it is easy to learn. Python supports a lot of libraries, so developers can develop the required functionality with ease without having to reinvent the wheel. If you want to install Python 3 on Windows, this guide will help you.
Python comes pre-installed on Linux-based operating systems like Ubuntu, MAC, and CentOS. However, we have to download and install Python manually on the Windows OS.
There are two versions in Python: Python 2 and Python 3. Both can be installed on any machine free of charge.
In this article, we have covered different methods to download and install Python 3 on your system.
Method 1: Install Python From Microsoft Store Package
This method is recommended if you are new to programming and want to set up Python without any hassle.
The Microsoft Store Package installs an interactive Python Shell intended for beginners to get their hands on Python. Note that this is not suitable for professional development.
1. Open the Run Dialog using the Win+R keys.
2. Type “ms-windows-store:” and press Enter.
3. In the Microsoft Store App, search for “python”.
4. Select the latest Python package. In this case, it is Python 3.10.
5. Ensure you’re downloading the right package. The Official Python Package is from the Python Software Foundation.
6. Click on the “Get” button.
7. After the successful installation, you will see a message that says, “You can see these apps in your applist.“
8. Open the Run Dialog again.
9. Enter “python” and press Enter.
10. The Python interpreter should open.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Python along with pip and IDLE on your system.
Method 2: Install Python 3 from the Official Python Site
This method is recommended if you are an intermediate Python developer.
1. Head to the Python Official site
2. Under the Stable Releases section, download the suitable Installer.
NOTE: To check if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit, refer to How to Tell If Your Computer is 32 or 64 Bit on Windows 11
3. Once the download is complete, run the installer by double-clicking on it.
4. The Python Installer window opens.
5. Check “Add Python 3.10 to the PATH.”
6. Click “Install Now”.
Note: By default, Python is installed in the Appdata folder. If you want to install Python in a custom location, choose the “Customize installation” option.
7. Once the setup is complete, click on Disable path length limit. It is optional. You can choose to skip this.
8. Before verifying if Python is installed on the system, restart your system.
NOTE: A restart is required for the PATH variable to reflect.
9. Open the Run Dialog.
10. Type cmd and press Enter.
11. In the Command Prompt window, type “python” and press Enter.
12. If Python is successfully installed, you will see the Python version number.
If you are seeing – ‘python’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file error, check this post to know how to resolve this error.
In this article, we have covered two ways to download and install Python 3 on Windows 11. We have also seen ways to verify if the Python installation is successful. We hope you enjoyed reading the article. Kindly comment and let us know if you found this article informative. Thanks for reading.